Dear CSN Family,
Please join me in celebrating and recognizing the contributions of our CSN LGBTQ+ community during LGBTQ+ History Month October 1-31. The monthlong celebration is dedicated to recognizing the achievements, talents and contributions of LGBTQ+ individuals throughout history.
First initiated in 1994 by high school history teacher Rodney Wilson, with the support of GLSEN, the Gerbert/Hart Library and other educators, LGBTQ+ History month quickly became an important opportunity to elevate the voices and experiences of LGBTQ+ people. Recent years have seen significant progress in the telling of these stories so often overlooked in the mainstream historical narrative.
While we remain vigilant about the work left to do, let us pause to reflect on the advancements we have made in equality and celebrate the significant contributions that generations of LGBTQ+ people have made to our diverse communities. To learn more about LGBTQ+ culture and events at CSN, or to join the Queer Inclusive Campus Committee, please visit https://www.csn.edu/csn-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender-queerquestioning-allies-resource-page
For news on all diversity events, please bookmark: www.csn.edu/diversityevents.
This Month’s Diversity Events
- October 1-October 31: LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff are invited to post their “Coming Out” stories to our Coyote Coming Out Story Kudoboard. Messages of support and affirmation from allies are also welcome! Please share at: https://www.kudoboard.com/boards/H3ze62Sc.
- Friday, October 2, 10:45 a.m. to noon. “Best Practices for LGBTQ+ Inclusion in the Classroom” presented by Dr. Adam Burgess at the Southern Nevada Diversity Summit.
- Sunday, October 11: National Coming Out Day. Don’t forget to share your story or support at the Coyote Coming Out Story Kudoboard!
- Tuesday, October 13, noon to 1 p.m. “Free to Be Me: Unleashing Your YOUnicorn Power” with Norman J. Liverpool IV. Tuesday, October 13th via MS Teams. Register for the event here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/122132466495.
- Tuesday, October 20, 3 – 4:30 p.m. “In a Moment of Danger: An LGBTQ History Panel,” featuring Jennifer Basquiat (Anthropology); Adam Burgess (English); Joe Hassert (Communication); and Patricia Vázquez (English). Register for the event here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/in-a-moment-of-danger-csn-lgbtq-history-panel-tickets-122137888713.
Resources for Faculty, Staff, and Students: