Dana Phillips is a library technician and heads up the circulation staff at the North Las Vegas campus. A longtime Las Vegan, she has worked in libraries for over 30 years. Dana has acquired and demonstrated many skills and talents that help her address the challenges in her current position.
Dana, can you describe what your duties are in your position at the North Las Vegas Library?
I coordinate and manage the library’s circulation department operational needs on the North Las Vegas campus, which includes supervising staff and student workers and recommending and implementing library policies and procedures. I oversee circulation activities assisting faculty, staff, students and community borrowers with their checkouts, renewals, and general library account needs. I also administer the library’s course reserve (textbook) collection in the new library system.
The library has adopted a new library management system. Can you explain how you helped implement the new platform?
As part of the leadership team for implementing the new system, I acted as the circulation expert. In the year before the rollout of the new system I had to understand and communicate to the rest of the team members how we could perform the essential circulation functions. We tested each function extensively to make sure it was ready to go. It was necessary for me to acquire specialized training on the new library system and I became one of a very few who are certified as a systems administrator. Now I can assist the systems librarian in maintaining and adjusting system parameters to reflect the library’s policies.
What are the benefits of the new platform for students, faculty, and staff?
- Our patrons now have longer checkout periods and more renewals available to them, giving them the potential to have materials checked out to them for an entire semester.
- Patrons can do more self-service by logging into their accounts to check due dates, perform renewals and place requests more easily.
- It is much easier to search for available textbooks in our course reserve collections.
- The new system allows us to remind all users of their due dates and encourage them to return the materials in a timely fashion. All notifications come through their CSN email account.
What are three things you would like everyone to know about using the CSN Libraries?
- I want them to know our staff is always willing to help find the materials you need – even if we don’t have an item we will help you request those materials from other campuses or institutions.
- The library has other things available to students for check out besides books – such as laptops, calculators, headphones, and anatomical models.
- Finally, each campus library is a little different in the items we have available so, stop by whenever you are on campus- we always appreciate your patronage.